The Public-Private Partnerships CCSA is one of five WBG units within the World Bank Group that foster solutions for multi-sectoral, highly-strategic priority development areas. The CCSAs complement the work of the Global Practices (GPs) in delivering lending and advice to our clients. Though the CCSAs, the WBG will work towards IDA commitments and other corporate targets while providing expert support on high-value, complex projects.
The five Cross-cutting Solution Areas:
• Set the strategic direction and develop goals and targets for priority development areas;
• Advise on design and delivery of complex projects and monitor results; and
• Build global leadership through the development of expertise and solutions.
The Department for International Development of the UK is funding the creation of a World Bank managed trust fund to support subnational PPP in Tanzania and Zanzibar. The World Bank task manager for this trust fund is currently based in Tanzania and will be moving to Singapore. In July 2016, continuing in the role of task manager. The position under these terms of reference will be a local hire in Tanzania, report to the task manager and provide support and management of the trust fund for the task manager, in accordance with the terms of the trust fund.
Note: If the selected candidate is a current Bank Group staff member with a Regular or Open-Ended appointment, s/he will retain his/her Regular or Open-Ended appointment. All others will be offered a 2 year term appointment.
Duties and Accountabilities:
Oversee and implement the trust fund, complying with its various accounting, reporting and other processes,
• Develop operating guidelines for the trust fund and review those guidelines from time to time to ensure they are up-to-date and consistent with the needs of the client and the trust fund,
• Work with and report to the Steering Committee, including acting as secretary for the steering committee to help organize meeting, decision processes, reporting and other requirements of the trust fund, the administration agreement, the grant agreements and all other relevant documentation for the trust fund.
• Work with PO-RALG LGA PPP Node, PPP Centre, Zanzibar PPP Department and other key stakeholders in PPP in Tanzania to implement and manage the trust fund and support trust fund and related activities
• Provide practical and cutting-edge support in all aspects related to PPP
• Provide support and advice on the execution of advisory and project work related to a particular PPP transaction
• Play a leading role in supporting the World Bank task managers for the trust fund in providing adequate and timely responses to client needs
• Act as a focal point for Tanzania based PPP activities including appropriate coordination with the clients and the Singapore and Washington DC based team as well as GP and regional leads on infrastructure financing issues
• Assist in decision-making on PPPs, and ensure that good practices on PPPs are integrated into WBG guidance in Tanzania
• Support improved WBG information on the extent and impact of our PPP activities in Tanzania
• Coordinate with external partners to develop global public goods in PPP related issues and to undertake activities of shared interest
• Works independently under general direction of trust fund task manager and the unit manager and guides and mentors more junior staff.
• Advanced degree in engineering, economics, finance, management, law or other relevant disciplines
• A minimum of five years of donor fund and/or program management/coordination experience;
• Experience in the field of PPP and related issues with demonstrated ability to engage on a range of issues in developing countries;
• Track record of achievements ideally in collaboration with MDBs and other development partners, ideally in the field of PPPs;
• Recognized by peers for providing high quality, management and coordination services;
• Client focus and commitment to results;
• Experience in Tanzania and Swahili language skills an advantage
• World Bank trust fund management would be considered an advantage; and
• High level written and oral presentation skills.
• Knowledge and Experience in Development Arena - Understands policy making process; distills operationally relevant recommendations/lessons for clients.
• Policy Dialogue Skills - Identifies and assesses policy issues and plays an active role in the dialogue with the government and/or other stakeholders.
• Integrative Skills - Working to develop an integrated view across all facets of current sector.
• Project Management - Understands and utilizes the basic concepts of project management, as they relate to the implementation of a project
• Bank Instruments, Policies, Procedures, and Systems - Fully familiar with Bank Instruments, Policies, Procedures and Systems (including safeguards, FM and procurement)
• Analytical and Technical Skills, Operational Strategy Development & Advice - Expertise in particular Bank Network recognized Sector or Theme
• Infrastructure Policy, Strategy, and Institutions - Familiarity with infrastructure policies, strategies, institutions, and regulations.
• Infrastructure Finance - Working knowledge of a range of financing alternatives; can conduct a range of infrastructure financial analyses.
• Infrastructure Public-Private Partnerships - Working knowledge of Public-Private Partnerships business/operating models; can conduct a range of financial and business case analyses.
• Lead and Innovate - Develops innovative solutions.
• Deliver Results for Clients - Proactively addresses clients’ stated and unstated needs.
• Collaborate Within Teams and Across Boundaries - Collaborates across boundaries, gives own perspective and willingly receives diverse perspectives.
• Create, Apply and Share Knowledge - Applies knowledge across WBG to strengthen solutions for internal and/or external clients.
• Make Smart Decisions - Interprets a wide range of information and pushes to move forward.
Online application, CLICK HERE TO APPLY